Mophandle 3 String Found Object Slide Guitar

I have named this found-object 3 string guitar I finished yesterday my Mophandle Axe.

It has a A bass string, a wound (D ?) guitar string and an unwound (likely a B string) on it.

Found some wood at Cornerstone Farm, and an old mophandle being tossed out. Aha sez me!!

I love Uncle Crow's "neck on top of body" building ideas (over at http://www.cigarboxnation.com) and so thought I'd give that a go with the mophandle. Cut 'er down, palm-sand 'er and go for it.

So I cut the board in half, sanded both side and rounded the edges of both boards. I found a longer paint-stick someone had used at the Fest, cut it into four pieces where it didn't have paint on it, sanded them. Then I attached the sticks inbetween the top and bottom boards and there was the body.

Drilled the 1/4 in. holes for tuners (love those eye-bolts) and simply used a nut tight against the end of the bolt (nearest the eye) and on the other end, a regular washer and wingnut. These things work amazingly well, and once the strings are really stretched out hold tune Great!

So, you can see how I attached the neck to the body in the pics, and the rest.

But when it came to creating a "bridge" and "nut" (high enough for slide playing) in that the handle was on top and not just under the box top as per normal cigarbox or cookie-tin guitars) I ran into trouble. I just had not thought enough about needing a solid bridge and nut that would attach to the top in a straight line. What to do?

I could have gone back to the hardware store and found a couple bolts and 4 nuts, then found a straight piece (or eyebolt with the eyes on both ends) or some such thing for a bridge. I also thought about using the metal pipe-tape stuff I'd used to attach the neck to the body as an "under the neck" brace with a bolt-nut combo on the top for a nut. But then I found (yahoo) a couple small brackets in a junk drawer.

They had 2 holes on each, with a dimple in the middle,so I drilled out the dimples with a metal drill bit, tried to carefully take the sharpness out of it, and affixed it to the neck as a bridge. Works great!

Then I finally thought "if this were a 2 stringer I'd just drill through where the nut should go and put another eye-bolt in because the height and width will take 2 strings off to both sides where the "tuners" would be". Nice… but I wanted to use a bass string on the bottom and a very light string for the 3rd string. And how to place the middle string via a nut?!!

If done again, I'd have drilled the hole for the eyebolt "nut" a little to the left on an angle. Then I could have fed the bass and middle strings through it and used the screwed-in wingnut for the high and lightest string and had them line up a little more straight over the top of the neck.

In any case, I just drilled the hole for that eyebolt straight down, attached the wingnut just in front of the eyebolt and put the bass and middle string through, then the 3rd over the wingnut and took care to keep the strings pretty straight across the neck so I could use a slide. It worked!

Live and learn, and of course this is part of the fun of a found-object instrument you largely build out of whatever you can find or purchase vvvvveerrrrrryyyy cheaply.

On to the next build later today: a 4 string cookie-tin "dobro" 🙂

Thanks for stopping by! -Glenn

Img_0555Img_0558Img_0559

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s